12.05.2007

Items of Note, Continued.

Class, before we begin today's discussion, I'd like you all to watch a short film. Today's exercise will be based on this film, so pay attention. A pop quiz will be given after our discussion, you may want to take notes!



Alright, now I know that Matrix: Reloaded was a "bummer" of a movie on the whole, but this exchange has many very important points. I was reminded of these points on Monday evening when I was out with JD, Seth and Kendall. Now, we could go on all night with this bit, but there are two main parts I'd like to discuss (parts 4 and 5 of our series on Items of Note).

4. The problem is choice. I know that this is a bit vague, but it is meant to be that way. My interpretation is that the problem not only lies in the fact that I choose or have already chosen, but that my life is affected by the choices of others. In the end, all I can really do is live my life how I see fit, make the choices that I see as right, and live with the choices that others make. "While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control." I feel that this quote from the discussion is somewhat misleading. The Architect means that he/it is able to control others, whereas I see it as I can control how I react to the choices of others and the choices I will make in the future (hey, here's and idea, I think I'll talk about not believing in fate in a future post). So, in the end, all we have are the choices we make, based either on ourselves or in reaction to what situations we have be thrust toward. What choices have I decided upon? To be happy. To live life how I want. Most importantly, to not let a minute get by without making a conscious decision to do what is right for me. I can't say if this is the right way to go about things (I'll make sure to let you all know if I got this one wrong, but let's say no news is good news), but it's the path I have chosen. What this leads to is...

5. Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness. This, I absolutely think is true. It is through hope that we can find the power to accomplish anything (see "The American Dream"). However, when hope is shall we say, misguided, it can lead a person to do things for the wrong reasons. This can make a person just sit and hope forever without acting (I'm talking to all of you out there lighting the "Casanova Candle" to get a date instead of getting out there and finding one). I guess where I'm going with this one, is that a person should always remain hopeful, keep the porch light on in case someone wants to come over, but not to the extent that that is all you have. Hope, but act as well, being mindful of the choices you are making. Nothing worth doing comes easily, just always keep you mind open. Boy, this one has really gone all over the place. Sorry about that.

Well, that's all I have right now. I know many of you were expecting a quiz, I'm sure most of won't complain about us passing on this little quiz. Maybe another time. More points of note to come in the future. As they grab my attention I'll pass them along to you.

No comments: