2.26.2008

#2 People Who Make Bold Statements and Refuse to Defend Their Stance Logically

Intelligent conversations are (or at least used to be) the backbone of social interaction. I love a good debate; arguing the facts, composing a good approach, using logic and reason to make a good point, and defend your statement. Sadly it is becoming a lost art. There is little I hate more than people who argue on emotions or half facts or even worse, information taken so far out of context that if somebody cited the source, their argument would become laughable.

Next time you open your mouth, consider the following checklist:

1. Take a moment to think, compose your idea into a form that makes sense and is worth anybody hearing.
2. Think your point through so you can defend your stance with logical arguments, not diversionary tactics.
3. Cite your sources. It is fine to say, "This may be my asshole talking, but all instances of . . ."

There are a lot of people I tend to ignore, I might have to add a few more to that list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can ignore me. but i know where you live so it wouldn't do you much good. i'd bring my possee and we would break in to steal some waterbottles and icecream since that's all you have to steal.

Anonymous said...

ya, but you dont have a possee ;)