5.03.2008

Redemption

When I decided to come down to the Tour of the Gila I had one primary goal in mind, to place top 5 in either the stage on day two or day four. Of course I hoped for a win, but I was practical about my aspirations. As someone who hasn't won a race in over 7 years, a win is probably on its way so long as I keep progressing, but I'm not quite there yet.

Today I reached my goal, but just barely. I threw caution to the wind for most of the race and tried repeated attacks. I can't say exactly how many I tried, but it had to be somewhere between 5 and 10, my last coming with just three laps to go. I was pulled back rather shortly after I went on this last one, it maybe lasted a lap, but it was worth the effort. I guess the pack was very interested in sprinting, wish I had received that memo. I maybe wouldn't have burnt so many matches had I known.

When you boil it down, you can't be too disappointed with a 5th place in pretty much the largest Cat 2 race in the country. It isn't a shabby result.

Oh, by the way I'm still sitting in 11th overall, there wasn't any change to that standing (obviously with a pack finish).

Tomorrow is the big day, we have 103 miles with 5, that's right, count them, 5 categorized climbs. I haven't yet decided on a tactic, so we'll see what the day brings. After that we begin the long drive home. Look forward to seeing everyone back there, especially a special someone whom I love and miss oh so very much (just two more days, baby!). Depending on the hotel situation we'll see if I can provided a play by play of how the Queen Stage went down.

Night world!

1 comment:

I am Brian said...

Ohhhh... thanks baby! I love and miss you too! I can't wait to have you back in my warm, hairy arms.